Laptops are so convenient as they give you the freedom to work on the go. This convenience means that you are on your laptop a lot, and if you are eating during the day and typing, the keys are going to get dirty. If you follow these steps, you can ensure that your keyboard is germ-free.
Dirt can accumulate without you even noticing and bacteria and germs can grow where your fingers are typing throughout the day. There are actually more harmful bacteria in your keyboard than on a toilet seat! This is if the keyboard is not being cleaned correctly and regularly.
If you are using your laptop every day, it is going to have a lot of built-up bacteria and germs. To prevent yourself from becoming ill, use a damp microfibre cloth to wipe the screen and keyboard every week or at least every other week.
PROTECTING YOUR LAPTOP
Cleaning your laptop regularly will ensure that you have the use of your laptop for a long time. It’s not nice to use a dirty laptop, but it is in fact the laptop itself that could suffer more than you. A build-up of dust can stop your laptop from cooling down properly as it clogs up the fans and vents and will cause the laptop to overheat. This in turn could destroy the internal hardware and will eventually reduce the life of your laptop. Dust can get into the keyboard, so it is best to make sure that you are cleaning it regularly.
Here’s the best way to clean your laptop effectively and efficiently…
SHUT DOWN YOUR LAPTOP
This is the easy part, but it must be done before even attempting to clean the screen and keyboard.
REMOVE ANY LOOSE DEBRIS
An easy step of keyboard cleaning. This can be done regularly to prevent large food particles from getting in between keys.
- Hold the laptop open and turn it upside down
- With the microfibre cloth, wipe back and forth across the upside-down keyboard to remove any loose debris which may be around or even underneath the keys.
- If there is something which is still stuck, try tilting the laptop at different angles to dislodge it.
- The small edges on most laptop keys can trap crumbs which will make it hard for larger pieces to fall out.
- If there is something that just won’t budge with the microfibre cloth, you can buy a jelly keyboard cleaner which is great for removing all dust and debris without causing any damage whatsoever.
CUT THROUGH THE GREASE AND GRIME
The most common type of laptop filth is grease and grime, especially if you have been eating any greasy foods and then if you are typing straight after, it can build up really quickly and can be very unhygienic. The solution is to use a small amount of Isopropyl alcohol.
- Wet a microfibre cloth or a cotton ball with the alcohol and wipe.
- This might have to be done a few times, but you should be able to remove most of the residue with this method.
- When this has been done, the keyboard should be spotless and ready to use
Just so you know, Isopropyl alcohol is free of impurities. Usually, you should make sure that the cloth you are using is not soaking wet, but with this type of alcohol, you will be ok as it isn’t harmful to your keyboard.
Your health will benefit significantly if you keep your laptop clean, especially if you are using it every day. Now you have the tips, you have no excuses!